Children’s Health Council offers continuing education courses for credit by top professionals such as Stephen Hinshaw, PhD. Credits are available for MFTs, LCSWs, OTs, SLPs and psychologists.
To receive notice of continuing education classes, email email@example.com and request to be included on our email and mailing list for professionals.
NEXT CONTINUING EDUCATION CLASS
Dancing With the Risks: Safe Steps; Tricky Steps; Landmines
A. Steven Frankel, PhD, JD
August 17, 2012
Onsite registration begins at Children’s Health Council at 8:30 AM. Class runs from 9:00 AM-3:15 PM and includes a working lunch.
This six-hour workshop in law, ethics and regulation focuses on three of the four most frequent causes for actions against mental health professionals nationwide. Since the 2010-2011 law/ethics/regulation workshop focused primarily on boundary violations (including sexual contact between professional and patient/client), this 2012-2013 workshop focuses on incompetence, criminal convictions and cases involving high conflict custody problems. The workshop, appropriate for all levels of professionals, emphasizes awareness and management of risk factors in the major areas of high risk practice.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- Be able to list the top four high risk areas of practice
- Be able to define and give two examples of “substantial relationship” laws
- List two characteristics of an “apology”
- List at least three issues that should be included in clinical records or two types of threats that occur between professional and patient/client
- List at least two problem areas for high conflict custody cases
- List one statute bearing on minors who can authorize their own treatment
Approved for 6 hours continuing education credit for LCSWs and MFTs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (PCE 2135).
Online at chcprofdev.eventbrite.com