Children’s Health Council offers continuing education courses for credit by top professionals. Credits are available for MFTs, LCSWs, OTs, SLPs and psychologists.
To receive notice of continuing education classes, email email@example.com and request to be included on our email and mailing list for professionals.
SPRING CONTINUING EDUCATION CLASSES
ADHD: Update on Biology, Mechanisms, Sex Differences, Policy, and Treatment
Date: Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Time: 9:30am – 3:45pm
Cost: $150 (includes lunch)
Speaker: Stephen P. Hinshaw, Ph.D.
This intermediate workshop will consist of an interactive, ‘everything you wanted to know about ADHD’ format. We will review current controversies and the huge spike in diagnoses, biological mechanisms related to symptomatology, girls with ADHD and their unique developmental trajectories, the influence of educational policies on diagnostic prevalence, and a summation of evidence-based treatments. Although the emphasis will be on children and adolescents, developmental pathways to adulthood will be featured. Also covered will be the phenomenon of “diversion,” the use of ADHD medications as performance enhancers for the general population.
- Causes and underlying mechanisms related to ADHD
- The components of evidence-based treatments
- Discuss the major spike in recent estimates of the diagnosed prevalence of ADHD and of medication treatments, including the huge regional variation that exists–and how school policies are influential in this regard.
- Review cognitive, attentional, and motivational underpinnings of ADHD.
- Examine female trajectories of ADHD, including high risk for self-harm across development.
- Review basics of medication and behavioral treatments.
Approved for 6 hours of continuing education credit for LCSWs and MFTs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (PCE 2135). Children’s Health Council is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CHC maintains responsibility for the program and its contents.
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 (5:00pm)
For reasons of confidentiality, this course is open to professionals only. Course includes lunch. For dietary restrictions beyond vegetarian, please call (650) 617-3853. Children’s Health Council is handicap accessible.
Register online at chcprofdev.eventbrite.com.