Dane Miller, MS
Dane understands first hand the struggles of having a learning disability and was diagnosed as a child with dyslexia. He struggled throughout his schooling with reading and writing to make connections. Through his tremendous drive, determination, and perseverance, he found academic success later in college and graduate school. He has a background as a science teacher in formal and informal education teaching K-12 students, college students, and adults making him very adaptable and easily relatable. He strongly believes in creating a fun, inquisitive learning environment that brings out the very best in each student by encouraging critical thinking and sharing ideas.
Dane brings a strong background of science and paleontology to Sand Hill School. Between 2006 and 2013, Dane worked as a research assistant, lab manager, and paleontologist for the Denver Museum of Nature and Science and the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History. During this time he accumulated a vast amount of scientific knowledge in the natural sciences. He has led fieldwork in botany, ecology, geology and paleontology and has published scientific papers in paleontology and botany in major journals. In his free time, Dane enjoys hiking, camping, running, exploring the Bay Area, and working on paleontological digs in the summer time.
- MS, Botany, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming
- BS, Biology, Seattle University, Seattle, Washington
- National Science Teacher Association
- National Math Teacher Association
- Research Associate - Denver Museum of Nature and Science
- Miller, D.M. (2014). Forests during the time of the Mastodons: Ziegler Reservoir Fossil Site. Aspen
￼Center for Environmental Studies. Invited speaker, March 12 and 13, 2014.
- Miller, D.M., Jackson, S.T, and Miller, I.M. (2013). Biogeography of Late Pleistocene conifer species from the Ziegler Reservoir Fossil Site, Snowmass Village, Colorado. Geological Society of America, October 26-30th, Denver, Colorado.
- Strickland, L.E., Baker, R.G., Thompson, R.S. and Miller. D.M. (2013, October). Last interglacial plant macrofossils and climates from Ziegler Reservoir, Snowmass Village, Colorado. In 2013 GSA Annual Meeting in Denver.
- Miller, D.M. (2012). Extraordinary Discovery of an Ice Age Ecosystem near Snowmass Village, Colorado. Graduate Student, University of Wyoming Botany Department, April 4, 2012.
- Miller, D.M., Jackson, S.T., and Miller, I.M. (2012). Tying fossil conifer cone taxa to the stratigraphic lake sequences of Ziegler reservoir in order to understand forest transitions in a high-elevation Late Pleistocene deposit near Snowmass Village, Colorado. American Quaternary Association, Programs with Abstracts vol. 22nd Biennial Meeting 2012, pg. 93.
- Miller, D.M., Jackson, S.T., and Miller, I.M. (2012). Morphomertic analysis of fossil conifer cones collected from a high-elevation, Late Pleistocene, deposit near Snowmass Village, Colorado. Snowmastodon Science Meeting, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, DMNS Technical Report 2012 vol. 5, pg. 23.
- Miller, D. M., Miller, I. M., & Jackson, S. T. (2014). Biogeography of Pleistocene conifer species from
the Ziegler Reservoir fossil site, Snowmass Village, Colorado. Quaternary Research, 82(3), 567-574.
- Miller, Ian M., Pigati, Jeffrey S., Anderson, R. Scott, Johnson, Kirk R., Mahan, Shannon A., Ager, Thomas A., Baker, Richard G., Blaauw, Maarten, Bright, Jordon, Brown, Peter M., Bryant, Bruce, Calamari, Zachary T., Carrara, Paul E., Michael D., Cherney, Demboski, John R., Elias, Scott A., Fisher, Daniel C., Gray, Harrison J., Haskett, Danielle R., Honke, Jeffrey S., Jackson, Stephen T.,Jiménez-Moreno, Gonzalo, Kline, Douglas, Leonard, Eric M., Lifton, Nathaniel A., Lucking, Carol, McDonald, H. Gregory, Miller, Dane M., Muhs, Daniel R., Nash, Stephen E., Newton, Cody, Paces, James B., Petrie, Lesley, Plummer, Mitchell A., Porinchu, David F., Rountrey, Adam N., Scott, Eric, Sertich, Joseph J. W., Sharpe, Saxon E., Skipp, Gary L., Strickland, Laura E., Stucky, Richard K., Thompson, Robert S., Wilson, Jim. (2014). A high-elevation, multi-proxy biotic and environmental record of MIS 6-4 from the Ziegler Reservoir fossil site, Snowmass Village, Colorado, USA. Quaternary Research, 82(3), 618-634.
- Strickland, L.E., Baker, R.G, Thompson, R.S, and Miller. D.M. (2014). Last interglacial plant macrofossils and climates from Ziegler Reservoir, Snowmass Village, Colorado, USA. Quaternary Research, 82(3), 553-566.