Heather Whitlock, MA
Assistant Head of Sand Hill School
Heather has been passionate about Special Education ever since a close family member was diagnosed with dyslexia at a young age. She witnessed how specially trained teachers with a background in multi-sensory instruction and a drive to connect with their students changed the lives of children who struggled in a traditional learning environment. Inspired by these educators, Heather began her career in Special Education, teaching at a school for children with language-based learning differences. She spent seven years teaching struggling readers using the Slingerland Method and eventually obtained he Level 1 Certification from Wilson Language. When Sand Hill School opened in 2011, Heather knew she wanted to be part of a warm and energetic school community where youngsters who have struggled gain the tools they need to thrive and learn to love school again. In her free time, Heather enjoys camping with her husband and two children, gardening, cooking, traveling and reading.
- MA, Education, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Phoenix
- BA, Psychology, Humboldt State University
- California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- Special Certification: Wilson Reading, CLAD (Crosscultural, Language and Academic Development)
- Specialized literacy training: Wilson Reading, Slingerland, Lindamood-Bell, Making Math Real