Sharmila Roy, PhD
Special Projects Consultant
Sharmila Roy, PhD, has served as the Program Chair of the Educational Therapy certificate program at UCSC Silicon Valley Extension since 2014. She also teaches classes on Educational Therapy, Culture and Cultural Diversity and Neurodivergent Learners. Sharmila has over 25 years’ experience in special education – primarily in teacher training, classroom interventions and curriculum development. She is committed to providing services to the underserved and has worked in private practice as an Educational Therapist, as well as in the non-profit sector and helped many families to navigate the special education system for their children. She has extensive experience working in K-7 classrooms and one-on-one with exceptional students especially in the area of multi-sensory mathematics learning for students with learning differences and executive functional skills.
- PhD, Special Education, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY
- MEd, Education, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY
- Post Graduate Certificate of Education, University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- Educational Therapist (Professional)
- Association of Educational Therapists
- Parents Helping Parents
- Bengali and Hindi
- Association of Educational Therapists Virtual Conference (2021), Speaker, “Educational Therapists as Social Justice Advocates: Using Neurodiversity to create Socially Just Schools”.
- Virtual School Australia (2020), Adelaide, Australia. Keynote Speaker, Global Empathy Annual Conference. “Empathy and Neurodiversity: A case for Learning Differences”. Committee member and Opening Speaker for VSA Global Empathy Conference 2021.
- Parents Helping Parents (2018) Chaired a panel discussion “Alternative Therapies for Students with Learning Differences”.
- EdRev 2017 Conference: The importance of developing Number Sense in students with Learning Differences
- “Summer Fun” (2016): A hands-on Math curriculum for summer (Presented at Parents Helping Parents)