Reddit Teams Up With Crisis Text Line to Support Users Who May Be Suicidal or at Risk of Self-Harm
On Wednesday, March 4, Reddit announce that is has joined forces with Crisis Text Line, a text message based , to provide counseling to users who might be at risk of self harm. Anyone on Reddit can now flag a fellow user who they think might be struggling with self-harm or suicide based on something they post on the site. Those users will get a message in their Reddit inbox that explains the various online resources they can turn to for help and instructions on how to contact Crisis Text Line — by texting “CHAT” to 741741.
The self-proclaimed “front page of the internet” is made up of thousands of themed groups (or subreddits).
Because a lot of subreddits deal with heavy topics, the company wanted to offer tools to support users who are coping with difficult feelings. Crisis Text Line provides 24/7 text-based support for anyone in crisis, whether they are struggling with bullying, abuse, suicidal thoughts, eating disorders or anything else. Rather than pick up the phone, which kids and teens might be reluctant to do, they can text with a crisis counselor for help.
Twitter. Instagram has also taken measures to that promote self harm or suicide.in place to connect someone who is in crisis with various crisis support helplines, as does
Excerpted from “Reddit now lets you report users who might be at risk of self harm” on CNET.com. Read the full article.
Source: CNET | Reddit now lets you report users who might be at risk of self harm, https://www.cnet.com/news/reddit-now-lets-you-report-users-that-you-worry-might-self-harm | © 2020 CBS Interactive Inc.
Stress and Crisis Resources
For immediate assistance, the following resources are available 24/7 unless otherwise noted:
- Dial 911 or go to your nearest emergency room or urgent care
- Crisis Text Line: Text BAY to 741741 (Anyone can send a message! Kids, teens, and adults)
- Star Vista’s Crisis Hotline: 650.579.0350
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: (800) 273-8255
- Uplift Mobile Crisis Team: (408) 379-9085 / toll-free (877) 412-7474
- Alum Rock Mobile Crisis: 408.294.0579
- Lifeline Crisis Chat: crisischat.org
- OnYourMind Teen Chat (M-Th, 4:30-9:30 pm): onyourmind.net