Mindfulness Resources for Dealing with COVID-19 [video]
In scary times, anxiety is normal and understandable. It’s important to exercise self care—to center yourself and seek calming influences to manage stress. Mindfulness helps you recognize the moments where you are feeling overwhelmed and regain balance and an improved mental state.
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention to the present moment and accepting what you are sensing and feeling without interpretation or judgment. Mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other techniques to relax the body and mind and reduce stress.
Mindfulness has benefits for kids too. Mindfulness helps kids focus, reduce anxiety, and regulate their emotions. It has even been shown to reduce aggression, which improves social relationships.
Let’s get started! We’ve assembled a collection of resources so you can learn more about mindfulness and find the methods and techniques that work best for you.
Guided Meditations and Music
Guided meditation from Mindful.org
Downloadable mindfulness meditation MP3 files from MIT Medical
- Body Scan (20:25)
- Body Scan: Seated (6:54)*
- Body Scan: Lying Down (39:32)*
- Mindfulness of Breathing (16:09)
- Sitting Meditation (33:38)*
- Mindful Yoga (23:40)
- Gentle Stretching/Yoga Meditation (38:20)*
Downloadable relaxation MP3 files from MIT Medical
- Relax: Guided Meditation (6:26)
- Music for Relaxation: Naive (2:06)
- Music for Relaxation: Clouds (2:39)
- Guided Visualization for Relaxation (9:01)
Morning MeditOcean — A Guided Meditation with the Jellies from the Monterey Bay Aquarium
3 Minutes Body Scan Meditation – Mindfulness For Kids And Adults from Fablefy – The Whole Child
Kids’ meditation – Butterfly body scan from Stop, Breathe & Think
- Headspace Beginner-friendly. Has free 10-day trial and a discounted student plan.
Stop, Breathe, & Think Designed to help you check in with how you’re feeling and choose a mindfulness practice tuned to your emotions.
Calm.com Includes a seven-day free trial and multiple features, including a special bedtime-story option.
- Simple Habit Offering new meditation plans and collections designed specifically for stress and anxiety related to coronavirus.
A screening can help you determine if you or someone you care about should contact a mental health professional. Care Managers can arrange a free 30 minute Care Consultation so you can explore options with an expert. Call or email our Care Managers at 650.688.3625 or email@example.com to set up an initial Consultation appointment.