Resources for COVID-19-Related Job Loss or Reduction in Hours [web resource]
The California Employment Development Department (
For the latest Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim data available, visit the Newsroom.
If you already filed for UI, refer to our step-by-step instructions for what to expect through the course of your claim.
Visit COVID-19 financial resources for state programs and assistance including food, eviction protection, and mortgage relief.
The federal government approved new legislation to extend federal unemployment benefits.
The EDD has been making programming adjustments for these benefits. If you had benefits available on your Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) or Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) claim on December 26, 2020, you will now have the additional 11 weeks on your claim. If you used all your PUA or PEUC benefits before December 26, 2020, you will receive the additional 11 weeks in the first week of March. You will be able to certify for weeks of unemployment starting from December 27, 2020.
This new legislation:
- Restores the federal increase for all unemployment benefits, which adds $300 to each week of benefits for up to 11 weeks through March 13, 2021.
- Extends Pandemic Unemployment Assistance and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation by 11 weeks. If you are receiving these benefits, we will automatically recalculate your claim and notify you when you can certify for your next benefit payment.
- Continues the federally funded FED-ED through March 14, 2021, providing up to 20 weeks of benefits.
- Provides a supplement of $100 per week to certain “mixed earners” who received at least $5,000 a year in self-employment income but were eligible for regular unemployment, not Pandemic Unemployment Assistance.
For questions, call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center.
- Toll-free from the US or Canada: 1-888-745-3886
- TTY: 1-800-547-9565
- Outside the US or Canada: 1-916-464-3502
Shortcuts to the Information You Need
Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to specific questions you may have about COVID-19 and what programs and benefits may be available to you.
Find the resources you need to file for unemployment, disability, or Paid Family Leave benefits and how to get back to work quickly. The Unemployment Benefits Program flowchart can help you understand the process.
Learn how you can manage the impact of COVID-19 on your business and affected workers.
Source: EDD | Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19), https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019.htm | Copyright © 2021 State of California, updated February 12, 2021
Do you need someone to talk to? CHC can help. We invite you to call or email our Care Managers at 650.688.3625 or email@example.com to set up a free 30-minute consultation.