DBT Skills Groups for Teens
What is DBT?
Dialectical Behavior Therapy is an intensive therapeutic approach teaching social-emotional and resilience skills for life enhancement. It is an evidence-based treatment with skills that focus on mindfulness, interpersonal effectiveness and communication, emotion regulation, and distress tolerance.
CHC offers therapeutic skills groups for middle and high school teens:
- DBT Skills Group for High School Teens
- Middle School Multi-Family Skills Group
DBT Skills Group for High School Teens
In this group, teens learn and practice DBT skills that they can use to regulate emotions and behaviors, enhance mood, improve relationships and engage in effective problem solving and communication.
High school-aged teens struggling with emotion regulation issues, past history of self-injurious behavior and/or suicidal ideation can join this group; participants must be seeing a regular outpatient therapist outside of group.
- One session/week on a recurring weekday evening. Families must commit to 8 weeks minimum.
- $840 for 8 weeks of 1.5 hour sessions
- Facilitated by Emily Sullivan, LMFT, Christine Pearston, PsyD & Pardis Khosravi, PsyD
Visit the DBT Skills Teen Therapy Group page.
Middle School Multi-Family Skills Group
This is a weekly group for middle school teen and parent(s) that focuses on teaching DBT skills in a multi-family setting.
This skills-based group is for middle school youth with difficulty regulating mood and behaviors and/or related relationship challenges. Parents and teens will learn a structured DBT curriculum that offer skills to support stress tolerance, strong emotions and communication. Parents will learn to support their teens using DBT skills, and will learn skills they can apply to their own lives too.
- Middle school youth with difficulty regulating mood and behaviors and/or related relationship challenges can benefit from joining the Multi-Family Skills Group.
- Tuesdays, 4:00-5:30 pm (in 12-week modules).
- Facilitated by Emily Cree, PsyD and Anna Parnes, PhD
- Download the group flyer.
Visit the Middle School Multi-Family DBT Skills Group page.
Get Started Today
If you are already being seen at CHC, please ask your therapist about joining the group. If not, please have a parent call or email a Clinical Services Coordinator: 650.688.3625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
While these groups are insurance-based, Medi-Cal Insurance is not accepted at this time. Financial assistance is available.