Social Emotional Learning: Greater Good Science Center [web resource]
The Greater Good Science Center (GGSC) is part of University of California at Berkeley’s Institute of Human Development, which has been an organized research unit of UC Berkeley since 1927. GGSC studies the psychology, sociology, and neuroscience of well-being, and teaches skills that foster a thriving, resilient, and compassionate society.
GGSC’s offerings include:
- Greater Good, a free online magazine with research-based stories, tools, and tips on the site make cutting-edge research practical and accessible to the general public, especially parents, educators, health professionals, business leaders, and policy makers.
- Greater Good in Action is a clearinghouse of research-based practices for fostering happiness, resilience, kindness, and connection.
- The Science of Happiness, a free online course taught by the GGSC’s Dacher Keltner and Emiliana Simon-Thomas, who lead students through a 10-week exploration of what it means to lead a happy and meaningful life. Students engage with some of the most provocative and practical lessons from a variety of disciplines, discovering how this science can be applied to their own lives. More than 300,000 students from around the world have enrolled in the course to date; evidence suggests that it boosts well-being and reduces stress.
- The GGSC Education Program supports the well-being of students, teachers, and school leaders through a variety of activities, including
- Greater Good Education articles that cover new trends in social-emotional learning and contemplative practice in education.
- Videos and podcasts on meaningful topics, including Parenting and Education.
Do you have concerns about your child? We invite you to call our Care Coordinators at 650.688.3625 or email us at email@example.com to set up an initial Parent Consultation appointment.